Throbber _

Apparently we're all too safe and none of us break the rules enough, so in a recent type experimentation day, instead of taking my 2 sentences from Ulysses, expressing what it said using a selection of three typefaces on a sheet of A3 in black and white, I took one part of my quote; 'long and throbbing' represented it using a sheet of paper that was 4 metres wide and printed it in a nice sex pink colour. I think it stood out quite well against the rest of the A3 sheets.


Me and You _

We recently completed another Ian Anderson project. After starting day one off by having to tell the group a joke, which was a hell of a lot scarier than I expected, we moved on to the actual project. Day one consisted of us being restricted to using Helvetica, an A2 format, black and white and just the words; 'Me and You'. We were tasked with creating a connection or relationship between the two words. Although most people went with the concept of them being the 'Me' and the outside world being the 'You', which created really interesting results, I went for a more 3rd person theme where I visualised a relationship between a 'Me' and a 'You'. The relationship being; 'You make me sad'. (It could equally be 'You make me happy', but it I particularly like how the word 'You' is all upside down...)

I was pretty pleased with this, but I think I was more pleased with the concept from day two. The second task involved using our ideas from the first day, but instead of using type, we could only use shapes and the standard colours; Red, Green, Blue and Yellow to represent our relationship. I went with a pretty standard idea of an eye shedding a tear, but, where I hadn't made the work from the first day relevant to myself, I felt this one was more relevant. 

I think that using shapes in an ambiguous way is pretty lazy design thinking, so to be forced into using them made me sad. The problem is, that I like the piece I've made, so I've contradicted my own opinion which is even more sad... 

However, the saddest thing really is that I didn't go with the idea below on the first day; The relationship between me and my pet Emu. Technically I didn't break the rules since I've used all the letters. Now to create a zoo of typeface animals...


Angst _

Been a bit slow coming and it's still a work in progress, but here's some of the visuals for my most recent Uni project entitled; 'Bang!'

After some experimentation centred around the word, I decided to create a typeface inspired by the small things in your day - such as a delayed train, or a traffic jam - that often lead to a big outburst of fury. As a metaphor for this, I created the typeface from a Chicken Cooking Timer... I completely took the timer apart and used the parts inside to create; Angst.

The second part of the project involved applying our experiments to something. I'm currently in the process of creating a publication that promotes the typeface and is also linked to a new blog devoted to the range of typefaces being created in the third year. 

As part of the promotion, I created this A1 poster design.

The rest of the work for this project will be finished soon, but for now I'm busying myself with 3 weeks away in London doing internships.


I've recently been involved in the third year publication; SEVN.

Seven of us were picked to be the pioneering group who kick started the magazine. Each issue will be designed by a new group of third years, each totalling seven (hence the name...) As the first group, we were there to set the guidelines that all future groups would follow. Obviously we've tried to be as ambitious and impressive as possible to set a high standard.

The whole issue can be viewed here:


There is also the potential to get the magazine Litho Printed, including a metallic copper colour, which would be awesome...