We were asked to map a chosen song from a short list compiled by our tutors. The idea was that we'd map the song in a physical way, whether that be by breaking down the song and mapping its respective parts, or finding another way of doing it. The song I chose was White Horses, a TV theme tune from the 70's. After about a week of doing the project, I realised that I didn't particularly enjoy the song, so I decided to make that point the focus of my mapping. With that in mind, I created a timeline of the 32 days of the brief and a Grand National inspired "race course" that mapped my journey through the song.
I find that I don't enjoy image making as much as I enjoy layout so I compiled a series of information that I was then able to present on a sheet. The final artifact is printed on A1.
I had a bit of spare time before the deadline after I'd printed this so I spent the next few days making an 'OS' inspired fold out map.
Today we had to re-design a crappy leaflet. Unfortunately, I managed to leave my leaflet t uni, so can't scan it in to show. However, this is my version:
I'm pretty pleased with it considering I spent the majority of my time during the session dicking around...
Had a pretty good chat with my tutor about needing to leave my comfort zone a bit. I suppose I'm getting quite good at designing in my own style so it would definitely be a good thing to try something new. She wants me to go bold, so the next brief I get, I'm making a concerted effort to avoid the use of light fonts and simple colours!
This website is the perfect start:
This sort of design never really crosses my mind but it should, it's bold, yet still simple.
I'm entering a poster based competition through my University about the amount of paper MMU used in the 2008/09 academic year. They apparently used the equivalent of 10,000 trees worth of paper. If you win, you get £200 worth of vouchers. Perhaps I'll win...
We were given some body copy about an Exhibition from last year and had 2 and a half hours to design a poster. Again, we were restricted to just the use of Helvetica. The idea of the brief was to get us used to using badly written copy from clients and to improve our hierarchical choices.